Statement of the Council on the Middle East
The Council of the Socialist International has addressed the current situation in the Middle East, together with representatives of its Palestinian and Israeli member parties. The Council is committed to contribute to find once more the path for dialogue, negotiation and progress to achieve peace, an utmost priority today for the peoples of the region and the international community.
In this regard, the Socialist International:
1. Affirms the right of the Palestinian people for self-determination and calls for an end to the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land within one year and withdrawal to the 1967 borders, including East Jerusalem.
2. Calls for the establishment of an independent, sovereign and viable democratic Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital, within one year from now. This state should exist side by side with a secure Israeli state.
3. Calls on Israel to end all settlement activities, as well as the building of the separation wall and bypass roads and to guarantee freedom of movement of Palestinians within Palestinian territory. It also calls for the release of all Palestinian prisoners and the Israeli prisoner.
4. Calls upon the Israeli government to end the blockade of the Gaza Strip. All goods and merchandise destined for Gaza should be allowed in accordance with internationally accepted screening procedures and standards.
5. Encourages all Palestinian political parties and groups to reinstate Palestinian unity and democracy, and supports the Palestinian efforts for state building.
6. Decides to send a delegation of representatives of member parties without delay to Israel and Palestine to discuss with its Israeli and Palestinian member parties the tragic events of 31 May with the purpose of establishing the facts and to report back to the International.