Declaration on Nicaragua
Meeting of the SI Council at the United Nations in Geneva, 26-27 June 2018
In view of the latest violent events in Nicaragua and the growing polarisation of the social, political and entrepreneurial forces in the country, the member parties of the Socialist International:
- strongly condemn the deaths of more than 212 people, a responsibility of the State of Nicaragua due to the excessive use of force by the police, vigilante groups and third party armed groups, as established by the Inter-American Commission of Human Rights, IACHR, in their report dated 21 June 2018;
- take note of the efforts made by the Government of Nicaragua, the FSLN, and all parties involved in the National Dialogue, urging them to redouble their efforts to achieve a permanent and lasting negotiated solution as soon as possible, away from violence, ensuring the safety of citizens and full justice, which are essential for social stability and the economic progress of the whole society;
- encourages the bringing to fruition of what has already been agreed by the parties involved, with an official invitation of the Government of Nicaragua to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights and to the European Union to accompany the efforts of the Inter-American Commission of Human Rights (HRIC), of the OAS and its commissions of assistance, to civil society, and a commission of experts, to investigate the events that have taken place in the country since 18th April;
- urge the Verification and Security Commission that has created the Dialogue to carry out its functions to achieve the cessation of lll all forms of violence and threats wherever they come from in the national territory and an implementation plan as soon as possible for the removal of the tankslll and lll to enhance the maintaining of an environment of peace and securitylll ; and
- encourage compliance with the agreements of the National Dialogue to invite the Secretary General of the Organization of American States (OAS), Luis Almagro, to come to the country and explain in plenary session the scope and contents of the agreements on electoral and institutional matters that have been signed and are being put into effect with the Government of Nicaragua.