Resolution on Belarus
SANTIAGO COUNCIL - Governance, energy and climate change, new horizons for peace, 6-7 November 2006
The Council of the Socialist International, meeting in Santiago, Chile, on 6-7 November 2006:
• Took note of the permanent violation of democracy, legality and human rights in Belarus;
• Callson the regime of President Lukaschenko to stop immediately its policy of suppression of democratic opposition forces;
• Expresses its permanent support for all political groups striving to achieve democracy in Belarus;
• Especially calls for the immediate release of Alexander Kazulin, Mikalai Statkevich, and all the other democratic politicians jailed following dubious juridical procedures;
• And callson all its member parties to intensify pressure on the Lukaschenko regime both bilaterally and in international bodies to start a process of democratic change in Belarus.